Welcome to this week's edition of The Wednesday Hodgepodge. A very special and heart felt shout out to anyone joining us today who is a veteran. Thank you for your service to our country.
If you've answered the questions today, please add a link to your answers at the end of my post. And do say hi to the blogger who linked before you because comments make the world go round. Here we go-
1. In two or three sentences tell us what Veteran's Day means to you?
I grew up in a military family and have a son-in-law currently in the US Army. I feel a special affection for those who take an oath to serve and protect this land we love. The freedoms we enjoy in America are something I think most of us take for granted on a daily basis. It's not until our lives are touched by war, a family member entering the armed services, or some national tragedy like 911 that we really stop and think about what it looks like to 'serve your country'.
I'm so glad we set aside this date to recognize our servicemen and women's commitment to freedom. Their commitment to defending the ideals our country holds dear and what that commitment means to the average citizen. I'm grateful for their willingness to serve, some giving even their very lives in the call of duty. I think of the words honor and sacrifice, and how to our veterans those aren't just words. I'm proud to be the daughter of a United States Marine, and on this day feel humbled by the bravery of our veterans.
2. What's your favorite film with a patriotic theme woven into the storyline?
It's too hard to choose just one. A few of my favorites falling under this heading would be The Dirty Dozen, Argo, Saving Private Ryan, Lone Survivor, and American Sniper. Of the movies listed Saving Private Ryan is probably my #1.
3. Flu shot-yes or no? If you answered no, do you plan to get a flu shot? If not, why not? Have you ever had the flu?
I did get a flu shot. I had the flu once, it was several years ago but it's not something I care to ever have again, so since then I've had a flu shot every year.
4. I've seen lots of people posting pictures of their Christmas trees up and decorated. Many stores have had Christmas on display since well before Halloween. Red cups are back at Starbucks, sans the holiday decor, and that has some people up in arms. What are you thoughts on all the holiday ruckus this second week of November?
In the words of Nadine from SNL's Burger Castle (go here if you're clueless) everybody 'simmah down nah'! Have mercy we're easily offended in 2015, aren't we? Also, I feel like now people complaining about people complaining about red cups is a thing. We just need a thing I guess.
Starbucks is a business and if they want plain red cups vs. snowflakes and polar bears I say go for it. This isn't an organization claiming to represent Christianity. It's Starbucks. I don't get why a red cup is offensive?? That being said, if you don't like their business philosophy don't buy their coffee. God bless America!
Also, it's capitalism with a Capital C, but I'd love to see stores hold off until at least November before decking the halls. And I DO NOT understand people with their trees up on the first of November. I think it's ridunkulous, but it's your house and if that's what makes your family happy then you go right ahead and hang that mistletoe while snacking on Halloween candy.
5. What 'critter' are you most afraid of encountering unexpectedly? Why that one?
Well I'm sure I should say a copperhead or a big fat crunchy spider, which are both high on my list of things to avoid and not something I ever want to encounter, but I'm actually going to say a possum. I don't know if it's their rodent-y bodies or their beady little eyes, but there's something about them that sends shivers up my spine. They're creepy. And they like to get in the garbage cans so when you lift the lid they stare back and scare the daylights out of you.
6. Do you like building things? What's the last thing you 'built'?
Not particularly. Hubs and I are building a house, but technically we're watching our builder build a house. The last thing I built? Hmmmm.....perhaps a casserole? I'm not a hammer and nail kind of girl.
7. In keeping with this month's theme of gratitude...what are you most grateful for that brings beauty to your daily life?
Sunlight on the water and a clear blue sky. I'm slightly obsessed with both.
8. Insert your own random thought here.