Monday, October 28, 2013

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

Hello Internets.  It's Monday and I have a cold.  It came on in the dark of night Friday, and it's only semi-miserable today. I'm hoping it doesn't progress to full blown miserable, consequently I'm drowning in hot tea, Emergen-C, and lots and lots of water.

Did you want a health update?
How about a weather report?
That's why you read here isn't it?

It was frosty here this weekend, but it was also sunny, plus daughter1 was home so I won't complain.  Well, I might mention my cold once or ten times before this post is finshed, but other than that I won't complain.

Daughter1 brought her boyfriend to The Garden State for the first time on Friday evening. I have to say when you step off the Amtrak near Newark, 'Garden State' is not the description that springs immediately to mind.  ahem. As it happens though, we live a fair distance from Newark, more 'garden' less oil refinery, and I do think the boyfriend was a little surprised at all the farmland in our neck of the woods.

We actually had a very laid back weekend, what some people might call boring, but what we call relaxed. Daughter1 woke up with an earache on Saturday morning so she and I were quite the pair.

We did get out and about for a bit, showed the boyfriend around the local area, made a brief stop at Highpoint (can you say windy????) and then headed to our local village pub for lunch. Afterwards we came home and watched a lot of football. He's a huge football fan so he was completely on board with the plan. Some of us napped-

This picture makes me happy.

Hubs lit a fire in the outdoor firepit early evening, and after
no less than a thousand
many tries he also got our patio heaters working, so it was cozy. We grilled out, made smores, then watched just a little more football, and a little World Series. I don't know exactly how much because I went to bed at 10 PM.

I'm the hostess with the mostest.

Sunday I decided I had a full blown cold, and daughter1 still had that earache so hubs and the boyfriend hiked up in the woods behind our house while we girls sorted out a little computer issue I was having. By 'we girls' I mean my daughter made it all work, and I watched. Whatever.

The boyfriend has heard a lot of stories about Daughter1 and her sister, and said he'd like to see one of our videos from back in the day, so we obliged.

Oh my word, those little girls were so stinkin' cute. My heart can hardly take it, and hubs for sure can't.

And then, just like everysinglesolitarytimemygirlsarehome, the clock spun and we were headed back to the train station. Hubs and I were once again alone in the car, saying the same thing we say every time we deposit a daughter at the airport or train terminal...'I wish we didn't live so far apart'.

But we do.

And I don't see that changing anytime real soon, so I do what I do best which is compartmentalize.  I mark the calendar and count off the days until the next visit. Until then, we'll text and talk on the phone, and we'll facetime if I can manage to answer without hanging up on the call.  My girls are smiling I know. It's annoyingly funny, right girls?

Technology may get the better of me on a fairly regular basis, but you know what I have mastered?

Loving from miles away.

It's a superpower all mothers possess.  


  1. I can definitely relate ... I keep hanging up my iPhone when DD calls. Frustratingly funny indeed.

    Hope both you and your daughter are feeling better!

  2. Glad you got to visit with your daughter and her boyfriend. So sorry you didn't feel well and that she had an earache but sounds like you did show him a nice time. Feel better soon!

  3. I love the way you write! And I can soo relate to ALL of it! My girl swirls in, time whips by,and suddenly we are back at the airport. And I mark time for the next time. And colds are just the pits...hope you feel better soon! Enjoy your week!

  4. He must be a serious boyfriend if he got to see the old videos. It sounds like it was a good time in spite of colds and ear aches.
    I hope you both feel better soon.

  5. Why is it that we hang up on face time? Ha. Oh well.
    Earaches and colds, ugh. But naps and football, yay! :)
    I hope your cold does not get worse before it gets better!

  6. Oh, you are so right, we Moms are pros at "long distance loving." But, as I've said a million times, we make it work, we don't have a choice. And, let me tell you, when little Grans are a part of the equation, it is doubly tough. I do hope you beat out the cold!

  7. I just love your posts!! And I love the super power comment at the end. Yes - even stepmoms do that, too!

  8. So very well put. We cry each time Allison goes back to Virginia or each time we leave her to go home. I MISS her so. I loved your couch picture so much. Sometimes im justhappy to have them all in the car so those I love most are within my arms reach for a bit.
    I want Al to move back.....but we have to love them and let them.
    when grandkids come along I have to draw the line!

  9. Haha. The FaceTime problem. In spite of the cold, sounds as though you all had a good time. Hope you feel better soon.

  10. Glad you had a good weekend in spite of ears and noses!
    Your couch looks very comfy, I am all about the couches this week :)

  11. Amen! I can do that loving from a distance too. Getting pretty good at it. I get to Skype with my girl tonight on her 22nd birthday. Won't see her face to face until December 20th!

  12. I kind of disappeared for a year, but thought I'd pop back over to see what is going on in your world!
    I am glad my girlies are still close, but that will change soon enough.
    I am sorry to hear you don't feel well!

  13. Awww... as my kids get older I start to understand, a bit, how hard it must have been for my parents to see me go off and not come home for so long... and to have their only grandchildren too... heatrbreaking. Sigh...praying that I can let mine go with grace, but with enough ties to make them WANT to come home just like your girls do!