Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Have plane will travel

I know I said I'd get a real post up yesterday but we spent the day making our way home and the idea of blogging about the weekend was just too overwhelming. My head was so full of thoughts and still is and I'm kinda just enjoying remembering all the fun we had which I'm not sure will translate here. I think I'll break this into two parts because you know it takes me lots of words to say just a little.

Rewind to Friday morning when we got up at 5 am to go to the airport in spite of the fact that just six hours prior my husband had come home from an out of town trip (yes, we're insane when it comes to travel) to find me laying curled up in the fetal position in a pitch dark house. I seriously wanted to cry and in fact did just thinking about getting on an airplane in a few short hours. But Friday I woke up feeling mostly fine and decided since it had come on so suddenly it must have been a case of food poisoning. And when I say suddenly I might even mean that I was sitting in the chair at my hairdressers with half a head of highlights in and the other half still to go. Not my finest hour.

Moving on (you're glad I know)...we flew to Atlanta for the weekend to attend a surprise 50th birthday party for one of our college friends. And some of our other college friends were also there so it was a mini reunion of sorts. As soon as we checked into our hotel I located a place to get a pedicure (priorities people!) I had to cancel mine on Thursday and I was not going to have icky unpolished toes all weekend so hubs carted me around until we found a salon and voila...pretty feet.

Afterwards I dropped the hubs at the hotel and scooted out to a nearby Starbucks to meet my first real live blog stranger friend. What's the terminology here? Anyway, Rebekah lives in that area and we had made plans to meet. I recognized her immediately from her photos except a. she is tiny and for some reason I was expecting her to be tall and b. she is young which I guess I knew in my head but the reality was she was young and fresh and I still felt kinda wonky from Thursday (eventually I'll hush about that episode) so not so young and fresh. She has four children but I only got to meet her youngest son and her daughter who started kindergarten this week and was positively precious and even sat in my lap before we parted. Her son was a cutie pie too. He was a typically curious toddler and I think Rebekah felt a little anxious about it because she wrote about our day too but honestly I'm used to kids and just plowed right on ahead talking. It takes a lot more than a busy three year old to shut me up. Everyone go over and say hi to Rebekah and tell her you know she is adorable because she is.

Friday night the 'college friends' were meeting in a nearby tavern to surprise our friend, R. The actual surprise party was Saturday night but since we were all in town his wife thought it would be fun if we met up Friday night so he could hang out with us all weekend. They have a local place they go for dinner and trivia and to meet friends on Friday nights so we all piled in there. The owner was nice and he got in on the fun and let us all come behind the bar to hide so R didn't see us immediately. I love a surprise and he was definitely surprised. And then the fun began. And it was the kind of fun that would maybe not be fun to you but it was fun to us. Because we laughed and laughed and told stories and felt the years fade away in an instant. What is it about these college friends that when we get together makes it feel like we saw each other yesterday when in reality it is months or even years between visits? I love these friends. Still.

Saturday we spent the entire day standing in the hotel swimming pool talking. Seriously. It was perfect. Saturday night was the actual party and again, he was surprised. There was a big crowd and an awesome band and we might have danced a lot. Of course I have the requisite picture of my hubs singing with the band because somehow he always manages to charm his way behind the mic.

When the party ended we may have done something that really hearkens back to our college days...we went to Waffle House and ate a full breakfast at 1:00 am. First of all, 1:00 is way way way past my normal bedtime. Secondly, I don't eat a full breakfast like that for breakfast but oh yes I did do that smothered and covered kind of ordering on Saturday night. And may I just add that the clientele inside a Waffle House after midnight in the year 2010 looks remarkably similar to the clientele that frequented Waffle Houses back in 1980something. Just sayin'.

We said our goodbyes about noon on Sunday and left for the second leg of our trip, an overnite stop in Tennessee with my in laws. We were 'in the neighborhood' so we figured why not? Yes, a three hour drive is 'in the neighborhood' and when you live away from family you have to take advantage of these moments. My fil has a birthday next week so we had a nice dinner out and caught up a bit before heading out Monday for state #3 which I'll save for part deux. I may be taking another little mini vaca sometime in the next few days (I already told you...we're crazy when it comes to traveling) so I'll be in and out again but hey, if you want to blog you need fodder, right?


  1. Crazy fun guys sure know how to travel! Sounds like a whirl wind trip. You need a vacation from your vacation.

  2. How fun!
    I'm sorry you were sick before you left, but SO glad you were well enough to travel the next day!
    Isn't it fun to meet up with blogging friends in person?
    I can't wait to meet you in person one of these days. It will happen! :)
    Glad you guys had a great time and I know it meant the world to your friend for all of you to be there for his big 50th!
    Can't wait to hear part deux. :)

  3. awwww, i missed ya...we're outside Atlanta. Maybe next time?!!
    Hoping you have some rest time this week ;)

  4. A typical whirlwind trip for you guys! Sounds like fun. BTW, love the new header. Did SED do that? It's great!

  5. Looks like you had a WONDERFUL trip! Can't wait to hear about the 2nd part. So glad we got to get together!

  6. Whew! Sounds like a really good time! I have yet to meet a Blogger friend in real life. Hey, now there's something I can concentrate on when all my chicks leave... In about 5 weeks. Hmmm
    Looking forward to part two!

  7. Sounds fun! Someday, my life shall be as exciting as yours. Although, I am sliding down a rock atop a garbage sack this weekend, so . . . I might got you beat there . . .

  8. Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm so glad you got over the food poisoning in time to enjoy it. And how horrible that it struck during the middle of that most wonderful time when you're getting highlights!

  9. That is just how I felt about my 40th high school reunion, Joyce! The years just seem to melt away!
    And the one time I had food-poisoning, it hit me so quickly I hardly knew what happened! So glad you are feeling better!
    All ofyour travelling sounds like fun!! Be safe!!! And I look forward to part 2! :-)
    So, you were able to get ALL of the highlights completed? Just wonderin'....:-)

  10. Joyce,

    Sounds like you had a truly wonderful time. Nothing beats breakfast at 1am. It just tastes so much better although I agree I wouldn't do it all the time.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

  11. Wow, you have been very busy. Sounds like the weekend was awesome. Nothing like old friends.
    I love when people are surprised.

  12. I'm sorry you were sick last week, but glad you got better. And what a great trip you had celebrating with college friends and then your girls. I am heading to the beach next week and then to the mountains. I have to get my last "hoorah" in before the summer is over. I'm with you, go when you can. Love & blessings from NC!

  13. Sounds like fun! Glad you got to visit with old friends!